However, most people are just used to just firing up MS Word or if they are on Windows with Open Office they miss the nice template folder and to create a new document from a template within Open Office for me is definitely too many clicks away (3 clicks and 2 double-clicks).
When I was asked for the "normal.dot" I searched a lot and I searched the internet to finally find out, that it is described very well in the Open Office help:
To Create a Default Template
- Create a document and the content and formatting styles that you want.
- Choose File - Templates - Save.
- In the New Template box, type a name for the new template.
- In the Categories list, select "My Templates", and then click OK.
- Choose File - Templates - Organize.
- In the Templates list, double-click the "My Templates" folder.
- Right-click the template that you created, and choose Set as Default Template.
- Click Close.
Related posts: Default paper size in Open Office, Firefox change default page format, Locale configuration on Ubuntu.